Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- SEO Mythbusting On SEO Community vs Google With Martin & Barry (That’s Me)
So I did an SEO Mythbusting video with Martin Splitt of Google way back last November. I posted the vlog I did with him minutes prior to recording this SEO mythbusting segment. They went well together.
- Google Local Panel Updates Section Gets Message Button
Google seems to have added a message button to the “updates” section of the Google Local panel view. So these are where you can add updates through Google Posts on local, but there is a message button there for a customer to ask you questions about that update.
- Bing AI Autosuggest, People Also Ask, Intelligent Answers & More AI Improvements
The folks at Bing posted a blog post showcasing some of the “next waves” of improvements around their deep learning and artificial intelligence techniques that help improve Bing Search. Bing highlighted improvements to autosuggest, people also ask, intelligent answers and captions.
- Wayback Machine Does Not Impact Your Google Rankings
Here is a new question I’ve never seen before – does being removed or I guess added to the Wayback Machine impact your Google search rankings? John Mueller from Google said no on Twitter.
- Google Tests Open Results In New Tab Toggle
Earlier this week we spotted Bing testing a toggle switch to open links in new tab and now we are seeing Google test a toggle switch to open results in a new tab. Coincidence?
- Google Fake Trees
Here is a photo from the Google Pittsburgh office of fake trees going up outside of the Google offices there. The person who posted it wrote on Instagram “these are gorgeous when the leaves fill in.”
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- Adsense payment, wire transfer to bank Less money problem, WebmasterWorld
- I don’t see any wide-spread change here. Could be we just dropped the page temporarily. It can happen, and restorations usually happen quickly., Danny Sullivan on Twitter
- Making frequency reporting more helpful for video campaigns, Google Ads Help
- We just launched Ahrefs Webmaster Tools! https://t.co/WESA9JZDM7 We want ALL content creators to have the data they need to improve their websites – so we’re making some parts of Ahrefs FREE for everyone. Think of it as us pic, Ahrefs on Twitter
- Impressed with how my Web Story is performing in Google Search. Updated it recently and seeing some benefit from the changes. No ranking benefit from the format itself, but video with text overlaid answers the queries it ran, Brodie Clark on Twitter
- Stars come from structured data. Whether they show is automatically determined. It’s not guaranteed. Content might be blocked if it fails to meet guidelines. site: might trigger differently, but in your example, Danny Sullivan on Twitter
Search Engine Land Stories:
Other Great Search Stories:
Industry & Business
Links & Content Marketing
Local & Maps
Mobile & Voice