Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Search Buzz Video Recap: Google Indexing Issues With Canonicalization, Mobile-Indexing & News-indexing & Google Shopping Free Globally
Well, well, well, this week we had not one, not two, but three different indexing issues that Google confirmed. The first was Monday night with issues indexing news content. The second was around canonicalization issues that I believe started on September 23rd…
- Google: Removing Links May Impact Your Rankings But Links Aren’t The Only Reason You Rank
Google’s John Mueller on Twitter stated something that is obvious but he said “ff links are the reason why a site is ranking higher, then if you remove them the site will rank lower.” But then he added that “links aren’t the only reason sites rank.”
- Google On Cookie Consent Banners Impacting Cumulative Layout Shift
One of the items in the core web vitals, which is part of the upcoming Google Page Experience Update, is Cumulative Layout Shift (CLS). There have been some reports that cookie consent banners have been impacting a site’s Cumulative Layout Shift score. Google wants examples of this, so share when with Google’s Martin Splitt on Twitter.
- Google News Showcase: Timelines, Bullets & Related Articles
Google announced yesterday that it is launching Google News Showcase. It is a new experience for publishers to show news in Google. With the News Showcase publishers can curate content using timelines, bullets and related articles.
- We Were Right: Google Had Indexing Bugs With Canonicalization & Mobile-Indexing
After noticing changes in Google since September 23rd and actually calling out canonical issues with Google a few days later, Google has now confirmed the indexing bugs where pages were dropping out of the index. The issue was two-fold Google said; one with canonicalization and the other with mobile-indexing.
- Google Color By Number Offices In Irvine
Here are some photos I found on Instagram of a few offices inside the Google Irvine building. It looks like some rooms are color coded. Pretty cool and funky, right?
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
Search Engine Land Stories:
Other Great Search Stories:
Industry & Business
Links & Content Marketing
Local & Maps
Mobile & Voice