Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Google May 2020 Core Update 100% Rolled Out
Google has finished rolling out the Google May 2020 core update yesterday. Google posted about this yesterday, May 18, 2020 at 12:37pm ET. That makes for a full-two week roll out, which began on May 4, 2020 in the afternoon.
- When Will Google Try Your 410 Page? It Depends.
John Mueller of Google said there is no fixed timeframe or duration for when Google will try to crawl and index a page that was returning a 410 status code. He said on Twitter “there’s no fixed duration” for that….
- Google: Ask Yourself If Your Site Is The Best Result For The Query
A site owner said that after getting hit by a core update in March 2019, he is going to have to shut down his site. John Mueller of Google responded to that saying I recommend taking a look at the top queries…
- Google Search Tests Topic Related To Jobs Box
SEMRush shared a screen shot of a new Google search user interface test that comes up with the Google Job Search feature. If you search for job related queries and Google jobs comes up in search, Google may…
- Google Hotel Ads: Commissions (Per Stay) & Free Cancellation Filters
Google announced for hotel ads they are now opening the commission (per stay) program for global participation for all Google Ads hotel advertisers. In addition, Google Hotel Ads can now be filtered by free cancellations…
- Google Discover Search Console Reporting Bug
Google posted that there was a data logging issue with Google Discover traffic and Google Search Console. Because of that, Google performance reports for Discover traffic starting on May 12th and ongoing might be off. Google said…
- Martin Splitt Has New Sheep Neighbors
This is kind of funny – Martin Splitt from Google, who is based in the Zurich, Switzerland region, snapped a photo of his new neighbors. Yep, his neighbor acquired sheep, maybe to cut the grass or maybe to act as friends during this time – who knows….
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- This is happening because we can have issues with pages that use “infinite scroll” & load new stories after someone reads the first, Danny Sullivan on Twitter
- Heads-up, I’m now consistently seeing the SERP to AMP highlighting feature in Chrome. Not sure if this another test, but I’m seeing it logged in and via incognito mode. Takes you right to the highlighted answer. Helpful, but n, Glenn Gabe on Twitter
- I appreciate your technical input, Fabien, but “there is some spam indexed, therefore all spam (+non-spam) should be indexed” doesn’t make any sense., John Mueller on Twitter
- Please do send me all the link selling offers. Also the xrumer kind of offers. I’m a good target for your emails and very, very interested in what you have to offer. for reals! https://t.co/i0MkAzgEvl, Gary Illyes on Twitter
- You can decide which content you’d like to have hosted or indexed for your website — that’s not a decision we can make for you. If you want your website to be considered an awesome website, then ma, John Mueller on Twitter
Search Engine Land Stories:
Other Great Search Stories:
Industry & Business
Local & Maps
Mobile & Voice