Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Google Can Use Historic Data For Ranking Your Site In Search
John Mueller of Google confirmed on Friday’s webmaster hangout video that Google does and can use historic or legacy data about your web site for ranking purposes. He gave a few examples of how Google uses it; your links over time, the adult SafeSearch filter and some of Google’s quality algorithms.
- Bing Won’t Rule Out Meta Keywords Tag Forever
In 2011, Bing said they do use the meta keywords tag. In 2014, Bing said the meta keywords tag was “dead in terms of SEO value.” Now, Bing won’t say if it is being used or not being used now or in the future.
- Vlog #69: Sarah Teach – Heartfelt SEO & Conscious Capitalism in SEO
Sarah Teach is an SEO at The Motley Fool, she specifically works on the evergreen content at the publication. She has an interesting story…
- Google Featured Snippet Local One Pack
Andy Simpson shared a screen shot on Twitter of a featured snippet on Google but is also mixed as a local one pack. The search query was [med mal lawyer washington dc] and this is what this featured snippet local one pack looks like.
- Google: URL Parameters Tool Is Not A Replacement For Robots.txt
Google’s John Mueller said on Twitter that using the URL parameter tool is no replacement for using a robots.txt file for blocking content. John was asked “how reliable is it” when setting “crawl no urls” of a certain type of URL pattern. John said “it’s not a replacement for the robots.txt — if you need to be sure that something’s not crawled, then block it properly.”
- Google Tests Blue Snippet Headers
It looks like Google is testing blue snippet headers in the mobile results. I believe this is an ongoing limited test but I figured I’d share it. Here are screen shots from Valentin Pletzer on Twitter of this in action.
- John Mueller’s COVID Haircut
Looks like John Mueller of Google got a bit of a haircut while in stay-at-home mode. You can see from his video this past Friday that he shaved his head. I don’t see that he mentioned exactly why bu
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- We’ve prepared a special edition of Google Academy on Air. Join us on June 4 for Navigating the Road Ahead, where we’ll discuss how businesses can adapt their marketing strategies in the wake of COVID-19. https://t.co/2F1tFNN, Google Ads on Twitter
- If someone unskilled and with no/limited SEO tries to migrate a site, often they don’t realize that they are missing key steps. After Google has finished reprocessing a site move, many developers and site desingers realize t, Jeannie Hill on Twitter
- Today on US Google & YouTube homepages we share our support for racial equality in solidarity with the Black community and in memory of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery & others who don’t have a voice. For thos, Sundar Pichai on Twitter
- In these cases the scraper is ranking below the original though. If that’s your content, I’d suggest looking into the DMCA process to see if that’s applicable., John Mueller on Twitter
- June 2020 AdSense Earnings and Observations, WebmasterWorld
- Snippet still showing on search, WebmasterWorld
Search Engine Land Stories:
Other Great Search Stories:
Industry & Business
Links & Content Marketing
Local & Maps
Mobile & Voice