Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Google Update Chatter Earlier This Week But Sensors Not Triggered
This is a weird one because I have been seeing chatter within the SEO community around a Google update starting around Sunday or Monday of this week and continuing for the next few days. But the automated tracking sensors from Mozcast, SEMRush, RankRanger and others show nothing – nothing at all.
- Bing Search Algorithm Update In Early February? Bing Says Always Making Updates.
I was asked if there was a Bing Search algorithm and ranking update on February 1st. Truth is, I did not see any chatter about this in any of the channels I track. But some are saying they saw an update on February 1st and 7th. I asked Frédéric Dubut from Bing and he said Bing is always making changes.
- Google Search Console Improves Data Exports In A Big Way
Google just announced it has made some seriously big improvements to the data exports within Google Search Console. Google said that you will “now be able to download the complete information you see in almost all Search Console reports (instead of just specific table views).”
- Google My Business Products Added Suggested Categories
Colan Nielsen shared a new feature he spotted in the Google My Business dashboard. Under the products tab (not everyone will see this), Google is providing “suggested categories” for you to add based on how Google understands your business.
- Google Images To Drop Dimensions Label On Thumbnails & Show Other Labels
A change is coming to Google Image Search on desktop later this week. You know that little label you see in the bottom corner of an image when you mouse over the image thumbnail in the search results? It shows the dimensions of the image… Well, that is going away and being replaced by product, recipe, video, and licensable labels instead.
- Vlog #49: Marketers in a Car after JTank with Ari Zoldan
I was privileged to be asked to sit as a ‘mogul’ on JTank, the Jewish version of SharkTank and this was a video throughout the day. I was not allowed to share information about the pitches…
- Bikes Hanging From Ceiling At The Google Office
Here is a photo I found on Instagram of a space at the GooglePlex, Google’s main headquarters in Mountain View, California. It shows Googlely colored bikes hanging from the ceiling. It is a Penny-far
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- Recommending anything is hard for those of us at Google, because people can interpret that as endorsements. But a search for [women in seo] brings up lots of fresh lists, which is nice to, Danny Sullivan on Twitter
- What happens after 3rd-party cookies go?, WebmasterWorld
- Changing platforms is often a very big change in the website (structure, urls, content, internal links, etc.) – these things do cause many changes, they can fluctuate for a long time, and the end-re, John Mueller on Twitter
Search Engine Land Stories:
Other Great Search Stories:
Industry & Business
Links & Promotion Building
Local & Maps
Mobile & Voice
- 12 SEO Best Practices That Everyone Should Follow, Ahrefs
- Google Webmaster Hangout Notes: February 18th 2020, DeepCrawl
- How to showcase your events on Google Search, Official Google Webmaster Central Blog
- Qualifying Clients; SEO Success Starts Here, Wellspring Search
- Successful SEO is Possible with a Small SEO Team, BrightEdge SEO Blog
- Using Python to Generate SEO, Content & Customer Insights, Conductor
- UX Checklist Series: Button Design, Seer Interactive
- Zarahome and a Rollercoaster of Visibility, SISTRIX
- How Low Can #1 Go? (2020 Edition), Moz
- How to Create Similar Content Without Duplicating – Jordan Koene, Searchmetrics
- The SERP Features Competing with Featured Snippets for User Attention [Study], RankRanger