Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Search Buzz Video Recap: Bing New Snippet Controls, Google EAT, COVID Searches & Core Updates
Catching up on two weeks with this video, I start with the news that Bing added support for snippet control meta tags…
- Google: It Is Good Practice To Specify A Canonical
Google’s John Mueller said it is good practice to specify a rel=canonical. John said this is regardless of framework and is espesially true when “you have preferences regarding the URL shown.”
- Will The Next Google Broad Core Algorithm Update Be Delayed?
Some webmasters and SEOs are asking if Google will be delaying the next broad core algorithm update. Google generally pushes out one of these core updates every quarter or so, and it has been a few months since the last core update – January 13, 2020 to be exact. So will Google be releasing one soon or will it be delayed?
- Coming Soon: Google Webmaster Conference Lightning Talks
Google announced a new YouTube series, Google Webmaster Conference Lightning Talks. This is to provide Google Webmaster Conference event-like content, in shorter form, since we cannot go to events in the near term.
- New Google Government Benefits Schema For COVID-19 Announcements
Google now supports new schema markup for COVID-19 announcements around government benefits. This is in the realm on GovernmentService schema where you can add schema that documents a service provided by a government organization, e.g. food stamps, veterans benefits, etc.
- Google Claw Game
Here is a photo I found this morning on Instagram of a claw arcade game, you know, the game where you try to drop a claw, it goes down, tries to grab something and take out a prize with it. Well, her
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- Looking to connect with or share updates with your customers on YouTube? With YouTube Video Builder, you can build a short video in a matter of minutes. Here’s how to get started: https://t.co/v4d2mbxmVp https://t.co/168mX95, Google Ads on Twitter
- This Apple Tool is pretty cool to show how people are staying at home https://t.co/Ti1ZkBKtn6 https://t.co/TMx3mATQRC https://t.co/VVf7SRcqlj, Barry Schwartz on Twitter
- Amazon Affiliate Payouts Slashed By Up To 80%, WebmasterWorld
- Changes in rankings can have lots of reasons, I wouldn’t blame any particular change on a core update. Maybe the other site is just doing better overall? Sometimes it just makes sense to rank affiliate, John Mueller on Twitter
- Dentist Algo Change?, Local Search Forum
- Google Alphabet to Slow Down Staff Hiring for The Rest of 2020, WebmasterWorld
- YouTube launches Video Builder, an ad creation tool for businesses, WebmasterWorld
- Link Building: Quality over Quantity and Diversification is a Myth, BlackHatWorld
Search Engine Land Stories:
Other Great Search Stories:
Industry & Business
Local & Maps
Mobile & Voice